This evening tour is a chance for anyone interested to see the UK’s only species of flying mammal wake to take advantage of a nocturnal insect supper.
As darkness begins to fall on Wild Ken Hill wood, your expert guide will show you how to use a handheld bat detector to listen and identify the high frequency calls of these fascinating creatures.
You may hear the rare Barbastelle bats or see Pipistrelles quartering the woodland rides frantically against the half-light. You’ll certainly understand the importance of woodland and deadwood as maternity roosts.
Wild Ken Hill is host to 11 of the UK’s 18 species of bat, with Noctules, Brown Long eared and Daubentons to name a few. This evening walk should certainly transform your idea of twilight.
AM/PM: The Bats Guided Tour always takes place in the evening.
Start Time: The Bats Guided Tour has a flexible start time to account for sunset.
Duration: Around 2 hours
- Tour typically on foot. Possible vehicle use in bad weather.
- Moderate walking pace with frequent stops. Moderate fitness is best to cope with walking on uneven ground. There are a small number of hilly slopes with gradients no steeper than 20%.
- Walking distance: 2-4 km
- Tour will go ahead in almost all weathers, so please dress accordingly. Trousers, sleeve-length tops and robust shoes are required in all weathers, as the ground is uneven and the long grass can be wet or scratchy. In wet or cold weather, a warm waterproof coat and wellington boots are required.
- In exceptional weather circumstances, this guided tour may require postponing.
- Suitable for Children 12 and over. For little legs and impatient enthusiasts please see The Big Picture - Families
- Covid-19 secure